Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Madison Mama



On the other wide of the world in Bangkok my oldest daughter, with her gaggle of girls decked out in the very same linen and lace dresses that she and her sisters used to wear on Mothers Day, troop off to church and then to a luncheon smorgasboard. I smile to think of her family indulging in a hotel brunch in the tradition of her childhood. Similar to the delight of my parents, perhaps, over my sisters and I roaming the tulip gardens, I looked forward to the sumptuous buffet served at the spot we frequented on Mothers Day when the children were young. It is not the culinary creations that conjure up my sweet memories. While I am certain there were gourmet offerings to my tempt the palate--shrimp & grits, eggs Benedict,  crab cakes and juicey roast beef--I do not remember ever savoring a bite. More fun was my standing in the Belgium waffle line with, and yet, another child excited about heaping the cherries and whipped cream atop or accompanying the little person with a huge plate for one more create-your-own omelette. Bountiful bowls of strawberries, mounds of banana pudding, rainbow scoops of ice cream piled high were the order of the day. Pure indulgence. My children's pleasure was in the food. Mine, in them. 

Amidst texts and phone calls from my precious crew, it was another form of gratification  to be scooped up at the airport on this Mother's Day by a solitary daughter and whisked to a whimsical spot nestled in the heart of old Madison. Tables and cozy niches with cushy pillows were nestled into the brick wall of this delicious spot, where the menu was resplendent with original creations and the decor a blend of winsome artwork and  vintage artifacts. With a backdrop of piano tunes we lulled through an afternoon of quiche and people-watching and coffee...and of course, dessert. All this under the shingle outside that reads: CHOCOLATARIAN. Need I say more by way of commercial?


Within walking distance of the center of Madison, we took a spin on foot... much-needed exercise after our serious sedentary spell at the cafe. Equally impressive with the grandeur of the Capital building (notoriously the only one that is granite-domed) is the stature of Wisconsin tulips. Robust is the word that best describes the hardy version that thrive in this colder-weather climate. How fun to be treated to TWO springs this year. Daffodils and pears trees are in  full bloom and new baby-green shoots are just poking out of the ends of winter-stunned sticks lining the streets.




Among our local color finds was a little help-yourself library. Stuck on the street corner, passers-by are invited to  retrieve or donate books, and, wonder-of-wonders(!), tucked among the treasures, I was elated to discover Gombrich's art history. Quite a treasure because the original edition is no longer in print, Amazon claims that the 1961 version in pristine condition is worth $2432.64. (Yep, I would sell it.)




Sailboats wafted their way to resting places at days end while we watched the sun set over Lake Medona.




 A Wisconsin Mother' s Day complete. Roses and cheese in the shape of the state among my cute li'l guest room accoutrements. Psalm 113:9. I am blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment